Friday 21 December 1928
It was Friday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Thomas Rajna and Ed Nelson in New Orleans.
In Old Arizona, directed by Irving Cummings, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1928
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 December 1928!
Which were the important events of 21 December 1928 ?
- Roman festivals - Divalia in honour of Angerona
- R.C. Saints - Saint Petrus Canisius ; formerly feast day of Thomas the apostle
- Also see December 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The summer solstice (Southern Hemisphere) or winter solstice (Northern Hemisphere), sometimes known as Yule, occurs on or very close to this date. It is an important festival in the Chinese calendar.
- Thomas Rajna: Composer.
- Ed Nelson in New Orleans: Louisiana, USA; actor (Peyton Place, Along Came a Spider).
- Michalis Kounelis: Greek violinist (d. 1999).
- Ed Nelson: New Orleans, Louisiana -- Actor (Peyton Place, A Long Came a Spider).
- Luigi Cadorna: Italian fieldmarshal (WWI, Caporetto), dies at age 78.
- Margaret Mead's influential cultural anthropology text ''Coming of Age in Samoa'' is published in the U.S.
- The U.S. Congress approves the construction of Boulder Dam, later renamed Hoover Dam.
- Drought leading to famine in China.
- ''Coca Cola'' enters Europe through the Amsterdam Olympics.
- Eliot Ness begins to lead the prohibition unit in Chicago.
- The old Canaanite city of Ugarit is rediscovered.
- Turkey switches from the Arabic to the Latin-based modern Turkish alphabet.
- Frederick Griffith conducts Griffith's experiment, indirectly proving the existence of DNA.
- The first (and last) Best Title Writing Academy Award is given.
- The Episcopal Church in the United States of America ratifies a new revision of the Book of Common Prayer.
- W2XBS, RCA's first television station, is established in New York City.
- Australian farmer Jack Trott finds Rhizanthella gardneri in his garden.
- The first patent for the transistor principle is registered in Germany to Julius Edgar Lilienfeld.
- Joseph Stalin launches the First Five-Year Plan.
- 1928ndash1932 ndash The average nonfarm wage falls by 50% in the USSR.
- Flint Institute of Arts opens
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 21 December 1928
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1928 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Frank Crumit - A Gay Caballero
- You're the Cream in My Coffee - Ben Selvin & His Orchestra
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?