Monday 24 December 1928, Christmas Eve
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Anver Joffrey and Lev Vlassenko.
In Old Arizona, directed by Irving Cummings, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1928
while The Bridge of San Luis by Rey Thornton Wilder was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1928!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1928 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Anver Joffrey: American dancer and choreographer who held dance as his dream from the age of seven when he saw Astaire and Kelly movies.
- Lev Vlassenko: Georgian-Australian pianist and educator (d. 1996).
- George Abbott Theater (Adelphi, 54 St) opens at 152 W 54th St, New York City
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1928 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- My Blackbirds are Bluebirds Now - Ruth Etting
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?