Monday 22 January 1917
It was Monday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Albert "Pud" Brown and Herwig Hensen [Flor Mielants].
Blind Justice, directed by Benjamin Christensen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
while The Light in the Clearing by Irving Bacheller was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 January 1917!
Which were the important events of 22 January 1917 ?
- New Zealand - Wellington Anniversary.
- Catholicism - Feast day of St. Vincent.
- Albert "Pud" Brown: Clarinetist / saxophonist.
- Herwig Hensen [Flor Mielants]: Flemish poet / playwright.
- Huck Geary: American baseball player (d. 1981).
- Jean-Louis Crémieux-Brilhac: French Resistance fighter, senior official, and historian.
- World War I: President Woodrow Wilson of the still-neutral United States calls for ''peace without victory'' in Europe.
- WWI: President Woodrow Wilson calls for quotpeace without victoryquot in Germany.
- The Danish West Indies is sold to the United States for $25 million.
- An anti-prostitution drive in San Francisco attracts huge crowds to public meetings. At one meeting attended by 7,000 people, 20,000 are kept out for lack of room. In a conference with Rev. Paul Smith, an outspoken foe of prostitution, 300 prostitutes make a plea for toleration, explaining they had been forced into the practice by poverty. When Smith asks if they will take other work at $8 to $10 a week, the ladies laugh derisively, which loses them public sympathy. The police close about 200
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1917 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Horace Wright - My Own Iona
- Someone Else May be There While I'm Gone - Al Jolson
- Way Down in Iowa, I'm Going to Hide Away - Irving Kaufman
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?