Wednesday 3 January 1917
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Roger W Straus and Vernon Walters New York City.
Great Expectations, directed by Robert G. Vignola, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
while The Light in the Clearing by Irving Bacheller was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 3 January 1917!
Which were the important events of 3 January 1917 ?
- The tenth night and ninth day of Christmas in Western Christianity
- The Festival of Sleep Day
- In astronomy the best date to view the Quadrantids meteor shower.
- Roman Empire - Festival in honour of Pax
- Feast day of St Genevieve
- In astronomy the approximate date of Earth's perihelion.
- Roger W Straus: Jr.
- Vernon Walters New York City: New York, US permanent representative to the United Nations.
- Pierre Dervaux: French operatic conductor, composer, and pedagogue.
- Leon McAuliffe: American Western swing musician famous for his steel guitar solos with Bob Wills and The Texas Playboys, inspiring Wills's phrase, "Take it away, Leon.
- Jake Pelkington: American athlete, he played pro basketball for one season, in 1948-49.
- Dick Schulz: American athlete, pro basketball player for four seasons from 1946-1950.
- Albert Mol: Dutch author and actor (d. 2002)
- Vernon Walters: American general and diplomat 17th United States Ambassador to the United Nations (d. 2002)
- Roger Straus: Jr. American journalist and publisher co-founded Farrar Straus and Giroux (d. 2004)
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1917 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- 1812 Overture, Part 1 - Regimental Band of H.M. Grenadier Guards
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?