Wednesday 17 January 1917
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Oskar Morawetz and Ulyses Simpson Kay.
Great Expectations, directed by Robert G. Vignola, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
while Mr. Britling Sees It Through by H. G. Wells was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 January 1917!
Which were the important events of 17 January 1917 ?
- Catholicism - Feast day of the following saints: St. Anthony and Amelbert.
- Ancient Latvia - Zirgu Diena observed
- Oskar Morawetz: Svetla, Czechoslovakia -- Composer.
- Ulyses Simpson Kay: Composer.
- Maruthur Gopalan Ramachandran (MGR) Indian film star: politician.
- M G Ramachandran: Indian politician, actor (d. 1987).
- Ramon Cardemil: Chilean huaso (d. 2007).
- Ulysses Kay: American musician, composer and college professor. Both his parents loved music and he began playing the piano at age 6 with encouragement from his famous musical uncle, King Oliver. He advanced to the violin two years later; and two years after that, age 12, he began mastering the alto saxophone. In high school he joined the marching and jazz bands and formed a jazz quintet, enamored of the music of Cab Calloway and Duke Ellington, which he heard on the radio. In 1938, he graduated from the Uni
- Ramón Cardemil: Chilean horse rider (d. 2007)
- M Ramachandran: Indian actor director and politician 5th Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu (d. 1987)
- Hendrik Goeman Borgesius Dutch politician: dies at age 70.
- The United States pays Denmark $25 million for the Virgin Islands.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1917 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Sometimes You Get a Good One and Sometimes You Don't - Anna Chandler
- I Ain't Got Nobody Much - Marion Harris
- The Baseball Game - Weber & Fields
- Horace Wright - My Own Iona
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?