Tuesday 23 April 1918
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Maurice Druon [Kessel] and Anthony Craxton.
Let's Get a Divorce, directed by Charles Giblyn, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1918
while Oh, Money! Money! by Eleanor H. Porter was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 April 1918!
Which were the important events of 23 April 1918 ?
- Saint Gerard (d.1138)
- UNESCO International Day of the Book in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Turkey - National Sovereignty and Children's Day (1920)
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2007: (the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar).
- Independence Day for the Conch Republic
- National Beer Day in Germany
- Feast Day of Saint George: Patron saint and National Day of England
- Patron saint of the Spanish region of Arag=n
- Celebrated as St. Jordi's Day in Catalonia, presents of books and roses. See above.
- Catalonia - Lover's Day. Men receive a book as a gift from their romantic interest, while women receive roses. The book is in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Saint Adalbert of Prague
- Jurgi festival, in ancient Latvia
- Maurice Druon [Kessel]: French writer / journalist (Prix Goncourt).
- Anthony Craxton: British TV producer.
- Maurice Druon: French novelist.
- Andre Maelbrancke: Belgium sport Champion.
- Herbert Hoover: Canton EXecutives.
- Percy Thomson Dean Lieutenant-commander: killed at Zeebrugge, dies.
- National Urban League forms.
- Battle of Zeebrugge ends.
- Dover Patrol overthrows Germany U-boat in East Sea.
- The Pittman Silver Coinage Act is approved, mandating the melting of up to 350 million silver dollar coins.
- World War I: The British Royal Navy makes a raid in an attempt to neutralise the Belgian port of Bruges-Zeebrugge.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1918 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- I'd Like to Be a Monkey in the Zoo - Frances White
- Just a Baby's Prayer at Twilight (For Her Daddy Over There) - Henry Burr
- Are You from Heaven? - Henry Burr
- Liberty Bell (It's Time to Ring Again) - Peerless Quartet
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?