Wednesday 23 May 1956
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Dominique Barella and François Feldman.
In UK No Other Love by Ronnie Hilton was in the top 5 hits.
The Killing, directed by Stanley Kubrick, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while The Last Hurrah by Edwin O'Connor was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Rosemary Clooney Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 May 1956!
Which were the important events of 23 May 1956 ?
- World Turtle Day
- Saint Desiderius
- Saint Guibert of Gemblours
- Saint Montana
- Bah�'f Faith: Declaration of the B�b
- Discordianism: Day of Disunity
- Dominique Barella: French magistrate and trade unionist, who was president of the Union of Magistrates (USM) from 2002 to 2006.
- François Feldman: French pop singer and songwriter of Russian (father) and Belgian (mother) descent, very popular especially in the late eighties for his hit "Les Valses de Vienne", his song "Joy" dedicated to his daughter, and his duet "Joue pas" (Don't play) recorded with Joniece Jamison, American singer.
- Kirk Shaw: Canadian project manager, the President of Insight and Sound Creations, an award winning multi-media production company.
- Ursula Plassnik: Austrian politician and diplomat Foreign Minister of Austria.
- Mark Shaw: New Zealand rugby footballer.
- Buck Showalter: American baseball player coach and manager
- Andrea Pazienza: Italian illustrator and painter (d. 1988)
- Albert Voorn: Dutch horse rider
- World Trade Center dedicated in Ferry Building, San Francisco, California.
- Presbyterian Church begins accepting women ministers.
- French minister Pierre Mendès France resigns due to his government's policy on Algeria.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 23 May 1956
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?