Sunday 24 December 1939, Christmas EveUS date format: 12/24/1939, UK date format: 24/12/1939
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn (see birth chart on December 24, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Dean Corll and Marcia Starck.
Of Mice and Men, directed by Lewis Milestone, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 24 December 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Personalized book about You
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1939!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1939 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Dean Corll: Shot, he raped and killed 26 boys.
- Marcia Starck: American astrologer and a healer who...
- Dominique Jameux
- Johnny Kidd: Rocker ( & Pirates), dies at 26 in a car...
- Dean Corll: American homicide; a mass murderer of...
- World War II: Pope Pius XII makes a Christmas Eve appeal for peace.