Friday 24 June 1949
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Brigitte Mohnhaupt and John Illsley.
Edward, My Son, directed by George Cukor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
while The Big Fisherman by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Mama.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 June 1949!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 24 June 1949 ?
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of Saint John the Baptist, patron saint of QuTbec
- Discovery Day in Newfoundland and Labrador (celebrating the 1497 discovery by John Cabot)
- Bannockburn Day in Scotland (see 1314 above)
- Quarter days in England
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Rahmat (Mercy) - First day of the sixth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Battle of Carabobo Day in Venezuela (1821)
- FOte nationale du QuTbec, also called St-Jean-Baptiste Day
- Day of Indian in Peru
- Original Midsummer's Eve in Finland and Sweden, although the official holiday is now moved to the nearest Friday
- St. John's Day in Estonia and Sao Joao in Porto
- Festival of San Juan observed in Bolivia and Peru
- American Radio Relay League - Field Day 2006
- Brigitte Mohnhaupt
- John Illsley: English singer-songwriter bass player and producer (Dire Straits).
- Betty Jackson: English fashion designer.
- Hopalong Cassidy becomes 1st network western (NBC)
- Cargo airlines first licensed by US Civil Aeronautics Board.
- The first Television Western, Hopalong Cassidy, is aired on NBC starring William Boyd.
- Dock workers strike in the UK.
- Apartheid: The ''South African Citizenship Act'' suspends the granting of citizenship to British Commonwealth immigrants after 5 years and imposes a ban on mixed marriages.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1949 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Bali Ha'i - Paul Weston & His Orchestra
- The Four Winds and the Seven Seas - Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra
- Vic Damone - You're Breaking My Heart
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?