Sunday 27 August 1916
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Martha Raye [Margaret Reed] and George Montgomery.
Dare ga sode otôkichi, directed by Matsunosuke Onoe, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1916
while Mr. Britling Sees It Through by H. G. Wells was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 August 1916!
Which were the important events of 27 August 1916 ?
- Moldova - Independence Day (from the USSR, 1991)
- Roman festivals - Volturnalia held in honor of Volturnus
- RC Saints - Saint Monica of Hippo
- Martha Raye [Margaret Reed]: Butte, Montana -- Actress (Martha Raye Show).
- George Montgomery: American actor and leading man of numerous Hollywood westerns and action pictures.
- Martha Raye: American entertainer, a zestful, boisterous comedienne with a huge, elastic mouth and zany antics.
- Louis Croizette: France Military man.
- Gordon Bashford: English engineer co-designed the Range Rover (d. 1991).
- Halet Çambel: Turkish fencer and archaeologist (d. 2014)
- Tony Harris: South African cricketer and rugby player (d. 1993)
- Romania declares war against Austria-Hungary, entering World War I as one of the Allied nations.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1916 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- I Can Dance with Everybody but my Wife - Joseph Cawthorn
- My Dreamy China Lady - Lyric Quartet
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?