Wednesday 24 October 2007
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Crank That (Soulja Boy) by Soulja Boy Tell'em.
In UK About You Now by Sugababes was in the top 5 hits.
Champagne, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2007
while Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2007.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 2007!
Which were the important events of 24 October 2007 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 24 October
- Merrill Lynch publishes its third quarter financial results, including a US$8.4 billion write-down resulting from bad mortgage loans. This is the company's first quarterly loss in six years.
- The inaugural Caesars Palace Classic poker tournament is won by David Singer, winning US$1 million.
- Comet 17P/Holmes grows significantly brighter overnight, going from magnitude 17 to magnitude 3 in just a few hours, while in the constellation of Perseus. (USA Today)
- The Bank of America announces that it will lay off 3,000 staff following an announcement of a significant decline in earnings in the third quarter. (NYT)
- A storm in the Gulf of Mexico kills 18 Mexican oil workers fleeing an oil rig, with Navy rescue teams trying to reach survivors. (BBC)
- Moderating winds improve the outlook in the fight against the California wildfires of October 2007. (CNN)
- Richard J. Griffin resigns as head of the Bureau of Diplomatic Security in the United States State Department following the Blackwater shooting in Iraq. (AP via CNN)
- The United Kingdom announces a unilateral end to the Common Travel Area with the Republic of Ireland. From 2009, passports will be required for the first time, bringing to an end centuries of unimpeded travel between the two countries. (Irish Times)
- Turkey-PKK conflict
- Reuters reports that Turkish forces launched an attack on Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) positions in northern Iraq earlier in the week killing 34 PKK fighters. (Reuters)
- The Pakistan Peoples Party claims that its leader, former Prime Minister of Pakistan Benazir Bhutto, has been forbidden to leave the country. (BBC)
- Prime Minister of Denmark Anders Fogh Rasmussen calls early elections for 13 November 2007, less than three years after the last elections in early 2005. (ABC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2007 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?