Wednesday 1 April 1942
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aries (see planets position on April 1, 1942). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jean-Pierre Door and Samuel R[ay] Delany Jr.
Kid Glove Killer, directed by Fred Zinnemann, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 April 1942
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1942!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1942 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Jean-Pierre Door
- Samuel R[ay] Delany Jr: United States -- Sci-fi author (Towers of Toron, Neveryona).
- Samuel R Delany: American author.
- Danny Brooks: rocker (Dovells).
- Phil Margo in Brooklyn: New York, USA; rock vocalist (The Tokens - "The Lion Sleeps Tonight").
- Alan Blakley: rocker (Brian Poole and The Tremeloes).
- Samuel Delany: American author, professor and literary critic.
- Michael Savage: Celebrity.
- Savaş Dinçel: Turkish actor (d. 2007).
- Roderick Floud: English historian and academic.
- Philip Margo: American singer drummer and producer (The Tokens).
- Annie Nightingale: British disc jockey.
- Richard Wolff: American economist and academic.
- Brian Binley: English businessman and politician.
- Allied air raid on harbor city Kupang, Timor.