Saturday 1 February 1908
It was Saturday, under the sign of Aquarius (see planets position on February 1, 1908). The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Gene Sheldon and Edward Staempfli.
The Thieving Hand, directed by J. Stuart Blackton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1908
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 February 1908
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 February 1908!
Which were the important events of 1 February 1908 ?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- The start of Black History Month in the United States.
- Imbolc - the first day of Spring in Ireland (Irish Calendar), one of the eight solar holidays in the Wheel of the Year.
- St. Veridiana
- Gene Sheldon: Actor (Bernardo-Zorro), dies at 72.
- Edward Staempfli: composer.
- Myles Fukanaiga: Japanese-Hawaiian homicide; kidnapped and murdered a ten-year-old boy on 9/18/1929.
- Albie Booth: collegiate Hall of Fame football star (Yale).
- George Pal: Hungarian / US director (When Worlds Collide, Puppetoons).
- Louis Rasminsky: Canadian economist, governor of the Bank of Canada (Born 1908).
- William Hickman: American murderer who, on 2/17/1927, kidnapped and killed 12-year-old Marian Parker.
- Carlos I: King of Portugal (1889-1908), assassinated by mob at 44.
- King Carlos I of Portugal and his son, Prince Luis Filipe are killed in Terreiro do Paco, Lisbon.