Wednesday 1 January 1908, NewYear’s Day
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on January 1, 1908). The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Kinue Hitoma and du Merle.
The Last Cartridge, an Incident of the Sepoy Rebellion in India, directed by Unknown, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1908
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 January 1908
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 1908!
Which were the important events of 1 January 1908 ?
- Kinue Hitoma: Japan -- 800m runner (1928 Olympics - Silver Medalist).
- du Merle: Toulon Military man.
- Bill Tapia: American singer and guitarist (d. 2011).
- 1st time, ball signifying new year dropped at Times Square
- For the first time, a ball is dropped in New York City's Times Square to signify the start of the New Year at midnight.
- Jack Hobbs makes his Test debut at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (83 and 28).