Wednesday 1 January 1947, NewYear’s Day
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Gary "BB" Coleman and Paula Tsui.
Dead Reckoning, directed by John Cromwell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
while Lydia Bailey by Kenneth Roberts was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Bristol-Myers Tele-Varieties.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 1947!
Which were the important events of 1 January 1947 ?
- Gary "BB" Coleman: Blues vocal / guitarist / producer.
- Paula Tsui: Hong Kong singer.
- Peter Lankhorst: Dutch Member of Parliament (PPR).
- Vladimir Georgiyevich Titov in Russia cosmonaut (Soyuz T-8: TM-4, STS 63).
- Alexei Ivanovich: Bobrov in Russia; cosmonaut.
- Frances Yip: Hong Kong singer
- James K Glassman: American journalist and diplomat
- Jon Corzine: American politician, 54th Governor of New Jersey and former United States Senator from New Jersey
- Leonard Thompson: American professional golfer
- Benelux agress to work related issues
- WTTG TV channel 5 in Washington, DC (MET) begins broadcasting
- The United States and Great Britain join their German zones of administration.
- Britain nationalizes its coal industry.
- The American and British occupation zones in Germany, after World War II, merge to form the Bizone, that later became the Federal Republic of Germany.
- The Canadian Citizenship Act 1946 comes into effect, converting British subjects into Canadian citizens. Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King becomes the first Canadian citizen.
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?