Monday 1 May 1939
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 1, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Judy Collins and Ray Aranha.
Only Angels Have Wings, directed by Howard Hawks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Percy Ponsonby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 May 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1939 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Judy Collins: American folksinger, acclaimed for over 30 years for her crystalline soprano.
- Ray Aranha: Miami, Florida -- Actor (Nick-Married People).
- Judy Collins in Seattle: Washington, USA; singer ("Send in the Clowns", "Both Sides Now", "Clouds").
- Aba Cercato: Italian former television presenter and announcer.
- Max Robinson in Richmond: Virginia, USA; news anchor (ABC Evening News).
- Victor Davies: Canadian pianist composer and conductor.
- Max Robinson: 1st black network (ABC) TV anchor, dies of AIDS at 49.
- Billie Bryant: American homicide who made the FBI's "10 most wanted" list for his crimes and robberies.
- Batman comics hit street
- Pulitzer Prize awarded to Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (Yearling)
- ''Batman'', created by Bob Kane (and, unofficially, Bill Finger) makes his first appearance in a comic book.