Sunday 14 May 1939
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 14, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Colette Nys-Mazure and M N Fathulin.
It's a Wonderful World, directed by W.S. Van Dyke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Percy Ponsonby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 14 May 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 May 1939!
Which were the important events of 14 May 1939 ?
- St. Carthach the Younger
- DubsDay in Dublin Ireland (14th of May in 2006).
- Mother's Day in various countries (second Sunday of May in 2006).
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut, or Israeli Independence Day. The observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar.
- Paraguay - Flag Day.
- St. Maria Dominic Mazzarello
- St. Just
- St. Engelmer
- St. Vincent of Lerins
- St. Victor and Corona
- St. Boniface of Tarsus
- St. Michael Garicoits
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: St. Matthias (Apostle)
- St. Engelmund
- Colette Nys-Mazure
- Harvey Keitel: Actor.
- M N Fathulin: Cosmonaut.
- Troy Shondell: American singer-songwriter (d. 2016).
- Veruschka von Lehndorff: German model and actress.
- Lina Medina, a 5-year old Peruvian girl, gives birth to a baby boy, becoming the youngest confirmed mother in medical history.
- King George VI and Queen Elizabeth arrive in Quebec City to begin the first-ever tour of Canada by Canada's monarch.
- The British government issues the White Paper of 1939, sharply restricting Jewish immigration to the Palestine Mandate.
- Sweden, Norway, and Finland refuse Germany's offer of non-aggression pacts.