Thursday June 01, 1939
US date format: 6/1/1939, UK date format: 1/6/1939
It was Thursday, under the sign of Gemini (see birth chart on June 1, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Neville Chamberlain (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Cleavon Little and Jerry Rannow.
Wolf Call, directed by George Waggner, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Trooping the Colour.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of June 01, 1939?
- Samoa - Independence Day 1962.
- Roman Empire - Festival in honour of Carna.
- Children's Day in some countries.
- Commemoration of Justin Martyr (Anglican).
- See more
- 1st boxing match to be televised, Lon Nova defeats Max Baer
- British sub Thetis sinks in Liverpool Bay with all 99 aboard
- Retired German Colonel-General Gerd von Runstedt returns to service
- Maiden flight of the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Wurger (D-OPZE) fighter aeroplane
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial