Thursday 1 June 1939
It was Thursday, under the sign of Gemini (see planets position on June 1, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Cleavon Little and Jerry Rannow.
Wolf Call, directed by George Waggner, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Trooping the Colour.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 June 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 June 1939!
Which were the important events of 1 June 1939 ?
- Samoa - Independence Day 1962.
- Roman Empire - Festival in honour of Carna.
- Children's Day in some countries.
- Commemoration of Justin Martyr (Anglican).
- Kenya Madaraka Day 1963.
- Tunisia - Constitution Day / Victory Day 1959.
- The Ascension in Eastern Christianity.
- Nirvana of Buddhists.
- Cleavon Little: Actor (Blazing Saddles), dies of colon cancer at 53.
- Jerry Rannow: American actor since 1954 when he was 15.
- Terry Waite: Author.
- Cleavon Little in Chickasha: Oklahoma, USA; actor (Blazing Saddles, Toy Soldiers).
- 1st boxing match to be televised, Lon Nova defeats Max Baer
- British sub Thetis sinks in Liverpool Bay with all 99 aboard
- Retired German Colonel-General Gerd von Runstedt returns to service
- Maiden flight of the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Wurger (D-OPZE) fighter aeroplane