Tuesday 9 May 1939
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 9, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Pierre Desproges and Ion Tiriac.
It's a Wonderful World, directed by W.S. Van Dyke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Percy Ponsonby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 May 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1939 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Pierre Desproges: French humorist, famous for his elaborate, eloquent and above all, virulent diatribes criticizing anything and everything.
- Ion Tiriac: Romanian tennis manager.
- Jim Dent: Augusta, Georgia -- PGA golfer (1989 MONY Syracuse Senior).
- Nokle Edwards: Rocker.
- Jim Dent in Augusta: Georgia, USA; PGA golfer (1989 MONY Syracuse Senior).
- Bruce Mather: Composer.
- Ralph Boston: Laurel, Mississippi -- Long jumper (1960, 64, 68 Olympics - Gold / Silver / Bronze Medals).
- Ion Țiriac: Romanian tennis player and manager.
- Kenneth Warby: fastest man on water at 300 knots (345 mph).
- Herbert Hippauf: Baseball player.
- Catholic church beatifies the first Native American, Kateri Tekakwitha.
- Spain leaves the League of Nations.