Saturday 6 May 1939
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 6, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Herbie Cox and Eddie C Campbell.
Only Angels Have Wings, directed by Howard Hawks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Percy Ponsonby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 6 May 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 6 May 1939 ?
- Saint Justus
- Sinaites of Serbia
- New Martyr Demetrios of the Peloponnesus (d. 1803)
- Seraphim the Struggler of Mt. Domvu
- Micah of Radonezh
- New Martyr Elias Ardunis
- Righteous Job the Long-suffering (OT)
- Barbarus the soldier, with Bacchus, Callimachus and Dionysios
- Barbaros the Robber in Thessaly
- Blessed Prudentia
- Saint Benedicta of Rome
- Saint Dominic Savio, patron saint of studying youth
- Saint Lucius
- Saint John in the Oil
- Herbie Cox: rocker (Cleftones).
- Eddie C Campbell
- Anthony Blacker: master-general of Ordnance.
- Zhanna Dmitriyevna: Yerkina; Russian cosmonaut.
- Eddie Campbell: American singer and guitarist.
- Konstantin Somov: Russian writer (Born 1869).
- 65th Kentucky Derby: James Stout aboard Johnstown wins in 2:03.4.
- Carl Friedrich Goerdeler tells the British government that the German and Soviet governments are secretly beginning a rapprochement with the aim of dividing Eastern Europe between them. Goerdeler also informs the British of German economic problems which he states threaten the survival of the Nazi regime, and advises that if a firm stand is made for Poland, then Hitler will be deterred from war.