Tuesday 23 May 1939
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Gemini (see planets position on May 23, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Reinhard Hauff and Michel Colombier.
Wolf Call, directed by George Waggner, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Percy Ponsonby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 23 May 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 May 1939!
Which were the important events of 23 May 1939 ?
- World Turtle Day
- Saint Desiderius
- Saint Guibert of Gemblours
- Saint Montana
- Bah�'f Faith: Declaration of the B�b
- Discordianism: Day of Disunity
- Reinhard Hauff: German actor, writer, director and producer whose main body of work was on early television.
- Michel Colombier: French composer, songwriter, arranger, and conductor.
- Ron Stevens: Horse trainer.
- Stanley Plumly: American poet, who is professor of English and director of University of Maryland, College Park's creative writing program.
- Jack McCarthy: Kiddie show host (Popeye), dies of cancer at 81.
- Dmitri Shostakovitch appointed Professor at Conservatory of Leningrad
- Hitler proclaims he wants to move into Poland
- Submarine Squalis sinks off Portsmouth, New Hampshire, 26 die.
- British parliament plans to make Palestine independent by 1949.
- British decoration, George Cross, first presented.
- The U.S. Navy submarine USS Squalus sinks off the coast of New Hampshire during a test dive, causing the death of 24 sailors and two civilian technicians. The remaining 32 sailors and one civilian naval architect are rescued the following day.