Thursday 1 August 1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 1, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Linda Marshall and Co Hoedeman.
The Return of Frank James, directed by Fritz Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 August 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1940!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1940 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Linda Marshall: American entrepreneur who serves as the President of Elysee Scientific Cosmetics Inc.
- Co Hoedeman
- Donald Pardus: American accountant and CEO of Eastern Utilities Associates, a utilities company.
- Mervyn Kitchen: Former Somerset cricketer and cricket international umpire.
- Ram Loevy: Israeli director and screenwriter.
- Henry Silverman: American businessman founded the Cendant Corporation.
- WWII: British submarine is sunk.