Tuesday 1 October 1940
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Libra (see planets position on October 1, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jean-Luc Bideau and Richard Corben.
The Long Voyage Home, directed by John Ford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 October 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 1940!
Which were the important events of 1 October 1940 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- Jean-Luc Bideau: Swiss actor primarily in movies.
- Richard Corben
- Michael Gruber: Author.
- Steve O'Rourke: English race car driver and manager (d. 2003).
- Marc Savoy: American accordion player created the Cajun accordion.
- Pennsylvania Turnpike, pioneer toll thruway, opens.
- The Pennsylvania Turnpike, often considered the first superhighway in the United States, opens to traffic.