Sunday 2 January 2011
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on January 2, 2011). The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Firework by Katy Perry.
Nine Dead, directed by Chris Shadley, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Cross Fire by James Patterson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Glory Daze.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Bit.Trip Flux or Darkest Hour: A Hearts of Iron Game.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 2 January 2011
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 January 2011!
Which were the important events of 2 January 2011 ?
- New Zealand ? Statutory holiday, Second day of New Year.
- United States - Bonza Bottler Day.
- Slovenia ? Second day of New Year.
- Scotland ? Second day of the Hogmanay Bank Holiday.
- Catholicism and Anglicanism ? Feast day of St. Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen.
- The eighth day of Christmas (and ninth night of same) in Western Christianity.
- Science Fiction Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 02 January
- Anne Francis: American magazine cover girl at age five, she was a full-time pro model by seven; she had her Broadway debut at eleven and had landed a Hollywood contract by age sixteen.
- Pete Postlethwaite: English actor (Born 1946).
- Szeto Wah: Hong Kong politician and educationalist (Born 1931).
- Richard D Winters: American Army officer (Born1918).
- Pete Postlethwaite: English actor (Born 1946).
- 2010–2011 Ivorian crisis:
- International mediators propose the establishment of a regional authority for Darfur, as a compromise between the Sudanese government and rebels’ demands, in a diplomatic effort to respond to Sudanese President Bashir’s order last week to withdraw the Sudanese government delegation from talks in Doha. (Radio Dabanga)
- Egyptian police shoot and kill an African illegal immigrant outside the Israeli border. (''Ha'aretz'')
- The U.S. Internal Revenue Service announces that, due to the late passage of the extension of the Bush tax cuts and other itemizations, up to 50 million Americans will not be able to file their 2010 tax returns until mid-February. (CNN.com)
- Officials in Afghanistan said that the price of opium has doubled due to a blight. There are fears the higher prices will draw more farmers into that business. (Reuters)
- A 7.1-magnitude earthquake streaks southern Chile, having its epicenter 96 km northwest of Temuco, not far from the location of the 2010 Chile earthquake. (Radio Australia News)
- River levels in Queensland, Australia continue to rise, affecting about 200,000 people and killing at least one person. (Aljazeera)
- Flooding occurs along the San Antonio River in Monterey County, California as flooding from previous weeks subsides. (''North County Times'')
- Ten people are crushed to death in a bar packed with New Year's revelers in Ipelegeng, South Africa. (CNN)
- One hundred German political and business leaders publish an appeal to Iran to free two German reporters imprisoned in Iran since October after being arrested while interviewing the son of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani who has been sentenced to death for murder (Reuters)
- A 2009 Wikileaks document from the US embassy in Tel Aviv says that Israel is preparing for large scale war against Hamas or Hezbollah, and quotes the Israeli chief of staff as saying that the Israel Defense Forces must be prepared to stop the firing of rockets on Tel Aviv. (Ynet)
- The Canada Border Services Agency confirms the deportation of a Toronto student to Mexico, who immigrated with his sister, who cited homophobia as the reason for claiming refugee status. Reports state he boarded the plane unwillingly. (The Montreal Gazette)
- Israel extends a six-month ban on the immigration of Palestinian Arabs married to Israelis. (AFP)
- Strict new anti-smoking legislation comes into effect in Spain. (Deutsche Welle)
- US President Barack Obama signs the 9/11 health bill into law to cover the cost of medical care for rescue workers and others sickened by toxic fumes and dust after the 2001 attack on the World Trade Center. (CNN)
- Former Canadian ambassador to the United Nations Paul Heinbecker urges the Canadian government to determine its agenda as global power shifts, particularly towards emerging economies. (CTV)
- Greece is considering the construction of a fence along its border with Turkey to fend off an ongoing flood of economic migrants from the Middle East and North Africa. (ANA-MPA)
- 2010–2011 Tunisian protests: Hacktivist group Anonymous announces 'Operation Tunisia' in solidarity with protestors, successfully bringing down a number of Tunisian state-run websites. (Daily Kos)
- Laurent Gbagbo's ampquotStreet Generalampquot postpones plans for its youth militia to storm the Golf Hotel, where Alassane Ouattara is currently staying, the area surrounded by the New Forces. Supporters of Ouattara renew calls to depose Gbagbo by military intervention. (Herald Sun Australia)
- Thousands of refugees flee the Ivory Coast to neighbouring countries at least 18,000 of them to Liberia. (Sky News Australia)
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 2 January 2011
La Liga Primera DivisionFootball (Spain)
- Ath Bilbao - La Coruna : 1 - 2
- Barcelona - Levante : 2 - 1
- Sevilla - Osasuna : 1 - 0
- Sp Gijon - Malaga : 1 - 2
La Liga Segunda DivisionFootball (Spain)
- Albacete - Cordoba : 1 - 0
- Betis - Gimnastic : 1 - 0
- Girona - Cartagena : 1 - 1
- Granada - Alcorcon : 1 - 0
Division 1Football (United Kingdom)
- Dundee - Ross County : 2 - 0
- Falkirk - Stirling : 4 - 2
- Raith Rvs - Dunfermline : 2 - 1
Division 2Football (United Kingdom)
- Ayr - Dumbarton : 2 - 0
- Stenhousemuir - Alloa : 2 - 3
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- Can't Be Friends - Trey Songz
- Aston Martin Music - Rick Ross Featuring Drake & Chrisette Michele
- What's My Name? - Rihanna Featuring Drake
- No Hands - Waka Flocka Flame Featuring Roscoe Dash & Wale
- Right Thru Me - Nicki Minaj
- Make A Movie - Twista Featuring Chris Brown
- Deuces - Chris Brown Featuring Tyga & Kevin McCall
- Lay It Down - Lloyd
- Wiz Khalifa - Black And Yellow
- No BS - Chris Brown
Top #10 Latin songs
- Danza Kuduro - Don Omar & Lucenzo
- Loca - Shakira Featuring El Cata
- Bon, Bon - Pitbull
- Corazon Sin Cara - Prince Royce
- Ni Lo Intentes - Julion Alvarez y Su Norteno Banda
- Nina De Mi Corazon - La Arrolladora Banda el Limon de Rene Camacho
- Arrastrando Las Patas - Larry Hernandez
- La Despedida - Daddy Yankee
- Sergio Vega - Millonario de Amor
- Y No Regresas - Juanes
Top #10 Rock songs
- The Black Keys - Tighten Up
- Linkin Park - Waiting For The End
- World So Cold - Three Days Grace
- Stone Sour - Say You'll Haunt Me
- Neon Trees - Animal
- Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man
- Muse - Undisclosed Desires
- Kings Of Leon - Radioactive
- Dog Days Are Over - Florence + The Machine
- Porn Star Dancing - My Darkest Days Featuring Zakk Wylde
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?