Thursday 6 January 2011, Epiphany
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on January 6, 2011). The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Flynn Bloom .
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Grenade by Bruno Mars.
The Mechanic, directed by Simon West, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Cross Fire by James Patterson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Green Hornet.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Asphalt: Injection or Call of Juarez: The Cartel.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 6 January 2011
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 January 2011!
Which were the important events of 6 January 2011 ?
- Epiphany (National Holiday) in Italy
- Christianity (except Eastern and Oriental Orthodox who follow the Julian Calendar) - Epiphany of the Lord (a.k.a. "Twelfth Day of Christmas" and Three Kings Day in some areas).
- In the Irish Calendar- Little Christmas or Nollaig na mBan (Women's Christmas) and/or Twelfth Day.
- Twelfth Night, or The Lord of Misrule
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the ceremonial birthday of Haile Selassie
- Ancient Latvia - Zvaigznes Diena observed
- Armenian Christmas (except in the Holy Land where it's on January 18th - old calendar)
- Flynn Bloom: American noted family, the first child and son of British actor Orlando Bloom and Australian model Miranda Kerr.
- Uche Okafor: Nigerian footballer (Born 1967).
- (to January 8) Heritage Auction Galleries conducts its Heritage Auctions Signature Currency Auction at the Florida United Numismatists convention in Tampa, Florida. A Series 1861 US10 demand note, handwritten "for the", only one known, VG-8, sells for $109,250.
- Médecins Sans Frontières accuses the Democratic Republic of the Congo of not doing enough to prevent war rape after 33 women are raped in Fizi, South Kivu, on New Year's Day. (CNN)
- 2010–2011 Ivorian crisis:
- At least 14 people in Duékoué, Ivory Coast are killed in clashes between opposing sides in the Presidential election crisis. (BBC)
- Ivory Coast's President-elect Alassane Ouattara expresses confidence that military action by other West African nations will remove President Laurent Gbagbo, who refuses to leave office after his defeat in recent presidential elections. (CNN)
- An abducted Hungarian civilian, who worked for the UN-African Union peacekeeping mission in Sudan's Darfur region, is released. (Radio Dabanga)
- Israeli troops kill two Palestinians as they attempted to cross a border fence from the Gaza Strip. (Ynet)
- The U.S. plans to send another 1,400 marines to Afghanistan, where approximately 100,000 U.S. troops are already engaged in the War in Afghanistan. (Reuters)
- A French market regulator approves a takeover defense adopted by the Hermès family, who own the manufacturer of Birkin and Kelly handbags. This improves the odds that Hermès will preserve its independence in the face of a bid by LVMH. (Reuters)
- 22 people are killed after a bus falls into a gorge in Uttarakhand, northern India. (''Straits Times'')
- The United States protests strongly to Vietnam after a U.S. diplomat is attacked and injured by Vietnamese police when he went to visit a detained religious dissident. (RFA)
- South Korea dismisses an offer of unconditional talks by North Korea, saying the offer was part of a propaganda campaign. (Reuters)
- A U.S. plan to force gun dealers in states which border Mexico to report cases where individuals bought multiple high-powered rifles in under 5 days, is stalled due to opposition from gun lobbies. Approximately 90% of crime guns seized in Mexico originate in the U.S., and over 30,000 people have died in Mexico due to drug cartel violence since 2006. (Reuters)
- A French court orders the transfer of Rwandan Hutu leader, Callixte Mbarushimana, arrested in France for his involvement in the Rwandan Genocide, to the International Criminal Court in The Hague. (AllAfrica)
- Indonesia's National Human Rights Commission submits a report to President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono on its investigations into reports of torture of Papuans by soldiers, and urges him to take action against human rights violations by security forces in the eastern Papua region. (AFP)
- Moroccan authorities arrest 27 people in an Al Qaeda-linked cell in Western Sahara for planning car bombings and suicide attacks on security forces, and bank robberies to finance their activities. (NPR)
- Chinese authorities implement new controls on the content of text messages sent to mobile phones according to service providers, including references to democracy, human rights, and corruption. (RFA)
- Observers prepare to use geostationary satellites to prevent harassment in the run-up to the referendum on independence for South Sudan, by monitoring for voter intimidation, damage to property and other violence. (Financial Mail)
- Prime Minister of Pakistan Yousaf Raza Gillani cancels recent fuel price increases in an apparent concession to the opposition in an attempt to save his government from collapse after losing its majority in parliament. (Houston Chronicle)
- Laurence Mackenzie resigns as chief executive of Northern Ireland Water in response to the organisation's handling of the recent water shortage in Northern Ireland. (BBC)
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 6 January 2011
Serie AItalian Football
- Bologna - Fiorentina : 1 - 1
- Brescia - Cesena : 1 - 2
- Cagliari - Milan : 0 - 1
- Genoa - Lazio : 0 - 0
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- Can't Be Friends - Trey Songz
- Aston Martin Music - Rick Ross Featuring Drake & Chrisette Michele
- What's My Name? - Rihanna Featuring Drake
- No Hands - Waka Flocka Flame Featuring Roscoe Dash & Wale
- Right Thru Me - Nicki Minaj
- Make A Movie - Twista Featuring Chris Brown
- Deuces - Chris Brown Featuring Tyga & Kevin McCall
- Lay It Down - Lloyd
- Wiz Khalifa - Black And Yellow
- No BS - Chris Brown
Top #10 Latin songs
- Danza Kuduro - Don Omar & Lucenzo
- Loca - Shakira Featuring El Cata
- Ni Lo Intentes - Julion Alvarez y Su Norteno Banda
- Bon, Bon - Pitbull
- Me Encantaria - Fidel Rueda
- Corazon Sin Cara - Prince Royce
- Arrastrando Las Patas - Larry Hernandez
- Nina De Mi Corazon - La Arrolladora Banda el Limon de Rene Camacho
- Sergio Vega - Millonario de Amor
- La Despedida - Daddy Yankee
Top #10 Rock songs
- The Black Keys - Tighten Up
- Linkin Park - Waiting For The End
- World So Cold - Three Days Grace
- Stone Sour - Say You'll Haunt Me
- Neon Trees - Animal
- Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man
- Muse - Undisclosed Desires
- Kings Of Leon - Radioactive
- Cage The Elephant - Shake Me Down
- Porn Star Dancing - My Darkest Days Featuring Zakk Wylde
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Stock Markets and Exchange Rates
- Gilead Sciences GILD: opens at $37.54
- Union Pacific UNP: opens at $92.73
- United Technologies UTX: opens at $79.41
- HP Inc. HPQ: opens at $44.22
- 1 CHF = 6.863 CNY
- 1 CAD = 6.6484 CNY
- 1 CAD = 0.9687 CHF
- 1 AUD = 6.59 CNY
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?