Sunday 16 January 2011
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Firework by Katy Perry.
I Saw the Devil, directed by Jee-woon Kim, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Wild Within.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Aiyoku no Eustia or Bust-a-Move Universe.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 January 2011!
Which were the important events of 16 January 2011 ?
- National Religious Freedom Day in the United States, to commemorate the adoption of Thomas Jefferson's landmark Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom in 1786
- Teacher's Day in Thailand
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 January
- 2010–2011 Tunisian protests:
- Ali Seriati, the former head of presidential security, is arrested and accused of threatening state security by fomenting violence. (BBC)
- Gunfire is heard in the capital Tunis as political leaders attempt to form a new government. (Al Jazeera)
- Southern Sudanese leader Salva Kiir calls on the people of South Sudan to forgive the north for killings during the civil war. (AFP)
- The online edition of ''The New York Times'' reports that U.S. and Israeli intelligence services collaborated in the development of the destructive computer worm Stuxnet to record Iranian operations and send them spinning out of control ahead of a sabotage attack against Iran. Testing is reported to have occurred at the heavily guarded Dimona complex in the Negev desert in Israel. (''The New York Times'')
- Nine civilians are killed in Baghlan, Afghanistan on their way to a wedding when they were blown up: 6 civilians are killed and 3 civilians are injured in Helmand after a minibus and a bomb collide. (Al Jazeera)
- ''The Social Network'' wins Best Motion Picture – Drama, while Colin Firth and Natalie Portman win Best Actor and Best Actress- Drama at the 68th Golden Globe Awards. (Moviefone)
- A ship carrying 263 migrants sinks off the coast of Greece 22 are missing. (AP)
- Further landslides and more rain are feared in Brazil which is dealing with the worst disaster in its history. (Al Jazeera)
- Three people are killed in a stampede at a three-storey nightclub in the Hungarian capital Budapest. (BBC)
- A man is sentenced to death in Egypt for killing Copts at a Christmas mass a year ago. (Xinhua)
- Mark Kennedy, the undercover British police officer who posed as an activist, flees to the United States after his cover is blown. (''The Independent on Sunday'')
- Supporters of the Pirate Party of Canada hold a protest in Calgary for increased freedom of the press and government transparency in defense of Julian Assange and the WikiLeaks website. (''Calgary Herald'')
- Magistrate Ilda Boccassini promises to cut pre-trial hearings and have Silvio Berlusconi's prostitution case in court by the summer. (''The Observer'')
- The approval rating of Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan improves to 34% following a cabinet reshuffle. (''Daily Yomiuri'')
- Leadership challenge to Taoiseach Brian Cowen:
- Taoiseach Brian Cowen announces his intention to lead the ruling Fianna Fáil party into the upcoming general election after spending the past two days consulting his party. He offers his colleagues a secret motion of confidence ballot in his leadership, scheduled for Tuesday. (BBC)
- Libyan leader Muammar al-Gaddafi reaches 41 years in power there are less than 24 months left until he is scheduled to become Africa's longest serving ruler, overtaking former Gabonese President Omar Bongo who died in 2009. (ZimEye)
- France's National Front confirms 42-year-old Marine Le Pen as party leader, succeeding her father Jean-Marie Le Pen. (BBC)
- Saad Hariri becomes caretaker Prime Minister of Lebanon following the collapse of his government due to resignation of 11 opposition ministers. (Daily Star)
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 16 January 2011
Serie AItalian Football
- Brescia - Parma : 2 - 0
- Cagliari - Palermo : 3 - 1
- Catania - Chievo : 1 - 1
- Cesena - Roma : 0 - 1
Bundesliga 1Football (Germany)
- Ein Frankfurt - Hannover : 0 - 3
- Kaiserslautern - FC Koln : 1 - 1
Bundesliga 2Football (Germany)
- Augsburg - Ingolstadt : 2 - 0
- Bielefeld - Frankfurt FSV : 1 - 1
- Duisburg - Osnabruck : 4 - 1
La Liga Primera DivisionFootball (Spain)
- Almeria - Real Madrid : 1 - 1
- Barcelona - Malaga : 4 - 1
- Valencia - La Coruna : 2 - 0
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?