Friday 14 January 2011
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Firework by Katy Perry.
I Saw the Devil, directed by Jee-woon Kim, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Port Mortuary by Patricia Cornwell was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Wild Within.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Armageddon Riders or BombSquad.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 January 2011!
Which were the important events of 14 January 2011 ?
- Day of St. Basil the Great in Eastern Orthodoxy, January 1 on the Julian Calendar.
- Feast of Divina Pastora, in Barquisimeto, Venezuela.
- Makar Sankranti in India. The event is marked by flying kites. Also Pongal in South India.
- New Year's Day in Eastern Orthodoxy, see Julian Calendar.
- Festum Asinorum, medieval burlesque festival celebrating the Flight into Egypt.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 14 January
- Ben Ali, former Tunisian president, fled the country to Saudi Arabia after popular protests (dubbed as Jasmine Revolution) requesting his departure.
- Stampede near Sabarimala : 104 devotees killed and several others injured in a stampede at Uppupara in Idukki distict.
- Reince Priebus of Wisconsin is elected as the chairman of the United States Republican National Committee. (MSNBC)
- Arab Spring: The Tunisian government falls after a month of increasingly violent protests President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali flees to Saudi Arabia after 23 years in power.ref name=quotautogenerated1quot
- 2010–2011 Tunisian protests:
- Thousands of people protest across the country demanding the resignation of President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali. (BBC)
- President of Tunisia Zine El Abidine Ben Ali fires his government and imposes a state of emergency on the country. (Al Jazeera)
- Prime Minister of Tunisia Mohamed Ghannouchi becomes interim President of Tunisia as Zine El Abidine Ben Ali leaves the country. (Voice of America)
- Lawyers suggest Mohammed Ghannouchi's taking on of presidential powers goes against the Constitution of Tunisia. (Al Jazeera)
- International media commentators hail events as the ampquotend of an eraampquot and ampquottruly remarkableampquot. (''Atlanta Journal Constitution'')
- A perceived lack of television coverage of the Tunisian protests by western media is criticized. (OpEd News)
- Mexican Drug War:
- 14 people are killed in a shootout after 100 soldiers, marines and police in Xalapa, Veracruz, surround a house. (IOL)
- At least 10 people arrested in clashes between police and protesters in Yemen. (Xinhua)
- Somali pirates capture six crew from Denmark and the Philippines leaving the ship intact. They are thought to be held on a captured Taiwanese fishing boat. (''Taiwan News'')
- Israeli riot police and Palestinian youths clash in the East Jerusalem neighbourhood of Silwan. (Al Jazeera)
- 2011 Tucson shooting:
- American politician Sarah Palin uses the term ampquotblood libelampquot to describe those who criticized her for the use of inflammatory rhetoric, leading to an uproar. (''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- 9 year old Christina-Taylor Green, the youngest victim killed in the shooting, is buried. (BBC)
- The death toll due to the political crisis in the Ivory Coast reaches 247 since the November 28th election. (Reuters)
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 14 January 2011
Bundesliga 1Football (Germany)
- Leverkusen - Dortmund : 1 - 3
Bundesliga 2Football (Germany)
- Karlsruhe - Greuther Furth : 1 - 1
- Union Berlin - Aachen : 2 - 1
La Liga Segunda DivisionFootball (Spain)
- Girona - Numancia : 2 - 0
League 1Football (United Kingdom)
- Brentford - Exeter : 1 - 1
- Colchester - Bournemouth : 2 - 1
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?