Saturday 8 January 2011
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine of Denmark and Josephine .
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Grenade by Bruno Mars.
TRON: Legacy, directed by Joseph Kosinski, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Port Mortuary by Patricia Cornwell was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Downton Abbey.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Anomaly: Warzone Earth or Asphalt: Injection.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
What the sky looked like on 8 January 2011
Is this date important to you?
Commemorate it with a beautiful, custom-made star map of the constellations above you on 8 January 2011. A perfectly unique and touching gift!
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 January 2011!
Which were the important events of 8 January 2011 ?
- Commonwealth Day is celebrated in Northern Mariana Islands.
- Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine of Denmark: twin children of Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark.
- Josephine : Danish royalty, the fourth child and youngest daughter of Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, and his Australian-born wife, Crown Princess Mary.
- Vincent : Danish royalty, the third child and youngest son of Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, and his Australian-born wife, Crown Princess Mary.
- An attempted assassination of Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and subsequent shooting in Casas Adobes, Arizona at a Safeway grocery store kills 6 people and wounds 13, including Giffords.
- Several people are killed in clashes with security forces in Southern Sudan, a day before the independence referendum. (Al Jazeera)
- Two French hostages kidnapped in Niger on Friday are killed during a rescue attempt by the Nigerien military. (Al Jazeera)
- Israel responds to the shooting dead of a 65-year-old Palestinian civilian in his bed during a pre-dawn raid by ordering an investigation. Troops were attempting to re-arrest five Hamas members who had been released from prison the previous day when they made the fatal error. (''Irish Independent'')
- Three academics at Istanbul Bilgi University are fired due to a controversial dissertation project submitted by a student. (BBC)
- 2010–2011 Tunisian protests: At least one person is killed and others are injured in the town of Tala during the latest protests against unemployment and poor living conditions. (Al Jazeera)
- Algerian protests against food prices and unemployment:
- Government taxes and duties on sugar and cooking oil in Algeria are lowered in response to three days of unrest over increases in unemployment and the cost of living. (Al Jazeera)
- Two people are killed and hundreds of others are injured during the protests. (BBC)
- Freezing temperatures in northern India kill at least 22 people. (Sify India)
- North Korea renews its call for unconditional talks with South Korea. (Al Jazeera)
- United States govt. attempts to access private information:
- It is revealed that the United States has subpoenaed Twitter for personal information regarding people connected to Wikileaks, including founder Julian Assange, suspected source of leaks Bradley Manning, and supporter Birgitta Jónsdóttir, a member of Iceland's Althing. (BBC)
- The WikiLeaks website requests that Google and Facebook make public any subpoenas they are given by the American government. (''The Guardian'')
- Iraqi Shia Muslim leader Muqtada al-Sadr urges a rejection of violence and peaceful resistance against the country's ampquotoccupiersampquot in his first public address since his return from exile. (Al Jazeera)
- Chinese prosecutors say more than 600 people were killed over a period of seven years in Yunnan due to official misconduct. (''The Straits Times'')
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 8 January 2011
La Liga Primera DivisionFootball (Spain)
- La Coruna - Barcelona : 0 - 4
- Malaga - Ath Bilbao : 1 - 1
- Sociedad - Sevilla : 2 - 3
La Liga Segunda DivisionFootball (Spain)
- Alcorcon - Recreativo : 2 - 1
- Barcelona B - Girona : 1 - 2
- Cartagena - Salamanca : 1 - 0
- Cordoba - Ponferradina : 3 - 3
ConferenceFootball (United Kingdom)
- Barrow - Cambridge : 1 - 2
- Bath City - Luton : 0 - 0
- Darlington - AFC Wimbledon : 0 - 0
- Eastbourne Borough - Mansfield : 1 - 3
League 1Football (United Kingdom)
- Bournemouth - Plymouth : 3 - 0
- Dag and Red - Rochdale : 0 - 1
- Exeter - Milton Keynes Dons : 1 - 1
- Oldham - Swindon : 2 - 0
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- Can't Be Friends - Trey Songz
- Aston Martin Music - Rick Ross Featuring Drake & Chrisette Michele
- What's My Name? - Rihanna Featuring Drake
- No Hands - Waka Flocka Flame Featuring Roscoe Dash & Wale
- Right Thru Me - Nicki Minaj
- Make A Movie - Twista Featuring Chris Brown
- Deuces - Chris Brown Featuring Tyga & Kevin McCall
- Lay It Down - Lloyd
- Wiz Khalifa - Black And Yellow
- No BS - Chris Brown
Top #10 Latin songs
- Danza Kuduro - Don Omar & Lucenzo
- Loca - Shakira Featuring El Cata
- Ni Lo Intentes - Julion Alvarez y Su Norteno Banda
- Bon, Bon - Pitbull
- Me Encantaria - Fidel Rueda
- Corazon Sin Cara - Prince Royce
- Arrastrando Las Patas - Larry Hernandez
- Nina De Mi Corazon - La Arrolladora Banda el Limon de Rene Camacho
- Sergio Vega - Millonario de Amor
- La Despedida - Daddy Yankee
Top #10 Rock songs
- The Black Keys - Tighten Up
- Linkin Park - Waiting For The End
- World So Cold - Three Days Grace
- Stone Sour - Say You'll Haunt Me
- Neon Trees - Animal
- Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man
- Muse - Undisclosed Desires
- Kings Of Leon - Radioactive
- Cage The Elephant - Shake Me Down
- Porn Star Dancing - My Darkest Days Featuring Zakk Wylde
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?