Friday 21 January 2011
It was Friday, under the sign of Aquarius (see planets position on January 21, 2011). The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Phyllon James .
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Firework by Katy Perry.
Red State, directed by Kevin Smith, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Assholes Finish First by Tucker Max was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Green Hornet.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Asphalt: Injection or Chaos Rings Omega.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 21 January 2011
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 January 2011!
Which were the important events of 21 January 2011 ?
- National Hugging Day
- Catholicism - Feast day of Saint Agnes.
- Mauritius - Thaipoosam Cavadee.
- UN Arms Day
- Phyllon James: Dutch noted family, his mother is Dutch model Doutzen Kroes who works for Victoria's Secret.
- 21 people are killed in a clash between the Sudanese army and two rebel factions in Darfur. (Reuters)
- Three people are shot dead and dozens are injured by riot police clashing with at least 20,000 protesters gathered outside the prime minister's office in Tirana, Albania. Deputy prime minister Ilir Meta has resigned after becoming embroiled in a fraud scandal and protesters have called for the rest of the government to resign. (CNN)
- A Nigerian general says armies in West Africa are ready to oust Ivorian president Laurent Gbagbo by force. (Al Jazeera)
- The South Korean navy directs an operation against Somali pirates who hijacked a South Korean ship, rescuing all 21 hostages, while eight pirates are killed and five are captured. (AP via Google news)
- A group of engineers from United Kingdom are teaming up with the Royal Air Force in this year in order to excavate a long-forgotten escape tunnel from the Second World War. (Yorkshire Post)
- MSNBC terminates a contract with their highest-rated cable news host, Keith Olbermann. (''The Guardian'')
- Bangladesh suspends six trading firms on the Dhaka Stock Exchange after an 8.5% fall on the index. (BBC)
- Aer Lingus cabin crew, disputing working conditions, march on airline headquarters at Dublin Airport Aer Lingus hires planes from other airlines and threatens to sack its workers. (''The Irish Times'')
- Bank of America reports a loss of $1.2 billion. (BBC)
- Paul Volcker steps down as the head of U.S. President Barack Obama's advisory panel, the Economic Recovery Advisory Board. Volcker, a former chairman of the Federal Reserve, was the guiding force behind recent legislation pressing investment banks to spin off their proprietary trading and branded hedge funds. (Reuters)
- Four banks, with total assets of $2.7 billion, are ordered closed in the U.S. 157 American banks failed last year. (Reuters)
- Five Thais including an MP are given suspended sentences after illegally entering Cambodia, in a case that has strained relations between the two countries. (''Straits Times'')
- Israeli–Palestinian conflict:
- United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon criticises Israel's refusal to cease illegal settlement building on Palestinian land, telling a UN General Assembly gathering that he is ampquotvery concerned at the lack of progress towards peaceampquot and that the recent demolition of East Jerusalem's historic Shepherd Hotel and evictions of Palestinian families had ampquotheightened tensions.ampquot He later meets survivors of the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp. (AFP via Google News)
- Six world powers and Iran meet in Istanbul to talk about Iran's nuclear programme Iran denies allegations it is developing nuclear weapons. (Al Jazeera)
- Almost 99% of South Sudanese voted for independence from the north in a referendum according to official figures. (Africasia)
- United Nations human rights chief Navi Pillay requests an investigation into possible involvement of officials in the abduction of around 40 Central American migrants, including women and children, from a cargo train in Oaxaca. (BBC)
- South Korea sentences a pastor to five years imprisonment for an unauthorised trip to North Korea and praising its regime. (UPI)
- Authorities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo arrest an army officer over a mass rape of civilians in the east of the country on 1 January. (United Nations)
- Former Guatemalan president Alfonso Portillo goes on trial in Guatemala City over allegations he stole $15 million from the defence ministry. Former defence minister Eduardo Arevalo and former finance minister Manuel Maza are also on trial. (BBC)
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 21 January 2011
Jupiler LeagueFootball (Belgium)
- Eupen - Club Brugge : 1 - 4
Bundesliga 1Football (Germany)
- Hamburg - Ein Frankfurt : 1 - 0
Bundesliga 2Football (Germany)
- Ingolstadt - Duisburg : 1 - 1
- Osnabruck - Munich 1860 : 0 - 1
- Paderborn - Augsburg : 1 - 1
La Liga Segunda DivisionFootball (Spain)
- Xerez - Elche : 0 - 0
Planetary positions on this day
What news were making the headlines those days in January 2011?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Katy Perry - Firework
- Bruno Mars - Grenade
- Rihanna - What's My Name?
- Ke$ha - We R Who We R
- P!nk - Raise Your Glass
- Enrique Iglesias - Tonight (I'm Lovin' You)
- Black And Yellow - Wiz Khalifa
- The Time (Dirty Bit) - The Black Eyed Peas
- Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are
- Only Girl (In The World) - Rihanna
Top #10 R&B songs
- Can't Be Friends - Trey Songz
- What's My Name? - Rihanna Featuring Drake
- Aston Martin Music - Rick Ross Featuring Drake & Chrisette Michele
- No Hands - Waka Flocka Flame Featuring Roscoe Dash & Wale
- No BS - Chris Brown
- Make A Movie - Twista Featuring Chris Brown
- Lay It Down - Lloyd
- Right Thru Me - Nicki Minaj
- Black And Yellow - Wiz Khalifa
- Keri Hilson - Pretty Girl Rock
Top #10 Latin songs
- Danza Kuduro - Don Omar & Lucenzo
- Ni Lo Intentes - Julion Alvarez y Su Norteno Banda
- Loca - Shakira Featuring El Cata
- Bon, Bon - Pitbull
- Corazon Sin Cara - Prince Royce
- Arrastrando Las Patas - Larry Hernandez
- Me Encantaria - Fidel Rueda
- Nina De Mi Corazon - La Arrolladora Banda el Limon de Rene Camacho
- Besame - Camila
- Cuando Me Enamoro - Enrique Iglesias Featuring Juan Luis Guerra
Top #10 Rock songs
- The Black Keys - Tighten Up
- Linkin Park - Waiting For The End
- Cage The Elephant - Shake Me Down
- World So Cold - Three Days Grace
- Stone Sour - Say You'll Haunt Me
- Neon Trees - Animal
- Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man
- Muse - Undisclosed Desires
- Florence + The Machine - Dog Days Are Over
- Kings Of Leon - Radioactive
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?