Friday 5 January 1940
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Dany Saval in Oakland and Michael O'Donoghue.
The Shop Around the Corner, directed by Ernst Lubitsch, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
On TV people were watching NBC News (1940 TV Series).
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 January 1940!
Which were the important events of 5 January 1940 ?
- Mungday (Discordianism)
- Catholicism - Feast day of St. John Neumann.
- The eleventh day of Christmas in Western Christianity, and the Twelfth Night of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- Dany Saval in Oakland: California, USA; actress (Boeing Boeing, Moon Pilot).
- Michael O'Donoghue: American writer (d. 1994).
- Yuri Ershov: Russian mathematician.
- Sir Michael Rose: British military officer.
- Athol Guy: Australian singer-songwriter and bassist (The Seekers).
- FCC hears 1st transmission of FM radio with clear, static-free signal
- US Federal Communications Commission hears first transmission of FM radio with clear, static-free signal.
- Finnish offensive at Suomossalmi against Russia.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 5 January 1940
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1940 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- The Man Who Comes Around - Tommy Tucker & His Orchestra
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?