Thursday 4 January 1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on January 4, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Gao Xingjian and Luc Boltanski.
The Shop Around the Corner, directed by Ernst Lubitsch, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
On TV people were watching Down on the Farm.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 4 January 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 4 January 1940!
Which were the important events of 4 January 1940 ?
- Spaghetti Day
- Ogoni Day
- The eleventh night and tenth day of Christmas in Western Christianity
- Feast day of St Elizabeth Ann Seton
- Gao Xingjian: Chinese-French author playwright and critic Nobel Prize laureate.
- Anthony Skooter Teague: Texas, United States -- Actor (How to Succeed in Business).
- Luc Boltanski: French sociologist, Professor at the École des hautes études en sciences sociales, Paris, and founder of the Groupe de Sociologie Politique et Morale, known as the leading figure in the new "pragmatic" school of French sociology.
- Alexander Chancellor: English journalist.
- Helmut Jahn: German-American architect designed Liberty Place and Messeturm.
- Brian Josephson: Welsh physicist and academic Nobel Prize laureate.
- WWII: Axis powers: Luftwaffe General Hermann Göring assumes control of most war industries in Germany.