Wednesday 17 January 1940
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include H Kipchoge "Kip" Keino and Oswald Mbuyiseni Mtshali.
The Grapes of Wrath, directed by John Ford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while Kitty Foyle by Christopher Morle was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 January 1940!
Which were the important events of 17 January 1940 ?
- Catholicism - Feast day of the following saints: St. Anthony and Amelbert.
- Ancient Latvia - Zirgu Diena observed
- H Kipchoge "Kip" Keino: Kenya -- 1500m runner (1968, 72 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Oswald Mbuyiseni Mtshali: South African poet (Fireflames).
- Tabare Vazquez: President of Uruguay.
- Richard Maloof: American musician, a tuba player in the Lawrence Welk orchestra on the maestro's hit TV show from 1967 to 1982.
- Kipchoge Keino: Kenyan runner.
- Nerses Tarmouni: Egyptian-Armenian patriarch (d. 2015)
- Tabaré Vázquez: Uruguayan physician and politician 39th President of Uruguay
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1940 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- The Last Time I Saw Paris - Kate Smith
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?