Tuesday 9 January 1940
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on January 9, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Pierre Combescot and Ruth Dreifuss.
The Blue Bird, directed by Walter Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
On TV people were watching Down on the Farm.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 January 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1940!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1940 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Pierre Combescot: French journalist and writer.
- Ruth Dreifuss: Swiss journalist and politician 86th President of the Swiss Confederation.
- Jimmy Boyd McComb in Missouri: USA; actor/singer (Howard - Bachelor Father).
- Barbara Buczek: Polish composer (d. 1993).
- Al Downing: American singer-songwriter and pianist (d. 2005).
- 2 German officers make emergency landing in Belgium
- WWII British submarine is sunk.