Sunday 6 April 1947
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Tony Cooner and Jan Kees.
This Happy Breed, directed by David Lean, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
while The Moneyman by Thomas B. Costain was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Juvenile Jury.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 April 1947!
Which were the important events of 6 April 1947 ?
- Saint Isolde
- Tartan Day, a day set aside for the celebration of Scottish influence.
- The date of organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and the start of the Restoration Movement by Joseph Smith Junior. Also the date on which this church believes Jesus Christ was born.
- In Thailand, April 6th marks Chakri Day - a day to commemorate King Rama I, founder of the Chakri dynasty.
- Saint Balderik
- Saint Marcellinus of Carthage (d.413)
- St. Sixtus
- Saint Wineboud
- Blessed Notker
- The start of the tax year in the United Kingdom (arising from the 11 day correction to March 25 at the adoption of the Gregorian calendar in 1752).
- Tony Cooner: Essex, England -- Drummer (Hot Chocolate-You Sexy Thing).
- Jan Kees: Wiebenga; Dutch Member of Parliament (VVD).
- Sally Eaton: American Wiccan High Priestess, liturgist, singer and actress, whose credits include creating and playing the role of Jeanie in the stage production of the hit Broadway musical Hair.
- John Kirkwood: Scottish artist, sculptor.
- Jacques Lameloise: French chef de cuisine at the restaurant Maison Lameloise (usually known as Lameloise) in Chagny, France, 1971-2008.
- John Ratzenberger: American actor who established himself as Cliff, the know-it-all mailman, a regular on the top hit TV show, Cheers. He actually auditioned for the role of Norm (that went to George Wendt) and when rejected, spontaneously on the spot invented Cliff with a ten-minute shtick that started the producers laughing.
- André Weinfeld: French-American director producer and screenwriter
- Mike Worboys: English mathematician and computer scientist
- 1st Tony Awards: Arthur Miller, David Wayne and Patricia Neal win
- 11th Golf Masters Championship: Jimmy Demaret wins his second Masters golf tournament, shooting a 281.
- First Tony Awards: Arthur Miller, David Wayne and Patricia Neal win.
- The first Tony Awards are presented for theatrical achievement.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1947 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Art Lund - Mam'selle
- My Adobe Hacienda - Eddy Howard & His Orchestra
- Heartaches - Harry James & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?