Wednesday 23 April 1947
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Bernadette Devlin and Saskia [Trudy van den Berg] singer (S and Serge.
Odd Man Out, directed by Carol Reed, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
while Lydia Bailey by Kenneth Roberts was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Juvenile Jury.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 April 1947!
Which were the important events of 23 April 1947 ?
- Saint Gerard (d.1138)
- UNESCO International Day of the Book in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Turkey - National Sovereignty and Children's Day (1920)
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2007: (the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar).
- Independence Day for the Conch Republic
- National Beer Day in Germany
- Feast Day of Saint George: Patron saint and National Day of England
- Patron saint of the Spanish region of Arag=n
- Celebrated as St. Jordi's Day in Catalonia, presents of books and roses. See above.
- Catalonia - Lover's Day. Men receive a book as a gift from their romantic interest, while women receive roses. The book is in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Saint Adalbert of Prague
- Jurgi festival, in ancient Latvia
- Bernadette Devlin: Irish politician.
- Saskia [Trudy van den Berg] singer (S and Serge: Spinning Wheel).
- Michel Leeb: French comedian, actor and singer.
- David Taylor: American mystic, a Jack-of-all-trades who was involved with black-magic people and activities.
- Robert Burgess: English sociologist and academic.
- Glenn Cornick: English bass player (Jethro Tull and Paris) (d. 2014)
- Bernadette McAliskey: Irish politician
- Carlton Sherwood: American soldier and journalist (d. 2014)
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1947 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- My Melancholy Baby - Sam Donahue & His Orchestra
- Free Eats - Count Basie & His Orchestra
- Linda - Paul Weston & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?