Monday 9 December 1940
It was Monday, under the sign of Sagittarius (see planets position on December 9, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Sammy Strain and Gianni Cavina.
Flight Command, directed by Frank Borzage, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
On TV people were watching Gabby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 December 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 December 1940!
Which were the important events of 9 December 1940 ?
- Anti-Corruption Day 
- Calendar of saints: Saint Juan Diego Cuauhtlatoatzin : optional memorial
- Peter Fourier, founder of the Congregation of Notre Dame
- Also see December 9 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics); specifically the conception of Saint Anne
- Scandinavia (specifically Sweden): Anna's Day. Recognizes everyone named Anna, and marks the day to start the preparation process of the lutefisk to be consumed on Christmas Eve.
- Tanzania - Independence Day (of Tanganyika from Britain, 1961)
- Sammy Strain: American singer (Imperials - "Hurt So Bad").
- Gianni Cavina: Italian film actor who has appeared in more than 45 films since 1949.
- Clancy Eccles: Jamaican singer-songwriter and producer (d. 2005).
- Maletti: Italian General, dies in battle.
- Illeagal Jewish immigrants to Haifa are deported to Mauritius
- British assault on Banghazi Libya.
- World War II: Operation Compass : British and Indian troops under the command of Major-General Richard O'Connor attack Italian forces near Sidi Barrani in Egypt.