Thursday 9 May 1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 9, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include James L Brooks and Dick Morrissey.
Waterloo Bridge, directed by Mervyn LeRoy, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
On TV people were watching NBC News (1940 TV Series).
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 May 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1940 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- James L Brooks: Producer / director (Broadcast News, Taxi, Critic).
- James L. Brooks: Producer.
- Dick Morrissey: Saxophonist.
- Gerti Bierenbroodspot: Dutch artist, poet and archaeologist.
- James Brooks: US mural painter (Flight, La Guardia New York), dies at age 85.
- World War II: The German submarine U-9 sinks the French coastal submarine Doris near Den Helder.