Saturday 24 May 1941
It was Saturday, under the sign of Gemini (see planets position on May 24, 1941). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Bob Dylan and Vittorio Biagi.
Sunny, directed by Herbert Wilcox, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1941
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 24 May 1941
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 May 1941!
Which were the important events of 24 May 1941 ?
- Aldersgate Day (Methodism).
- Canada: Victoria Day, on this date or the Monday before it. In Quebec, it is known as National Patriotes Day (JournTe nationale des patriotes). The holiday is often referred to as "May Two-Four," -- a "two-four" being slang for a case of beer with 24 bottles or cans.
- Bermuda: Bermuda Day.
- Eritrea: National Day.
- Macedonia: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Macedonian Script and Culture Day.
- Saints Donatianus and Rogatianus
- Saint Amadl
- Saint Suzanna
- Mary, Help of the Christians
- Saint Sarah is celebrated in Camargue, France by the Roma or Gypsies.
- Bulgaria: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Bulgarian Education and Culture, and Slavonic Script Day.
- Bob Dylan: American musician, songwriter and poet, called the Robert Burns of the pop revolution, and the most influential figure in the history of rock outside of Elvis Presley with over 36 albums and 300 songs.
- Vittorio Biagi: Italian dancer, choreographer and ballet director.
- Yannick Seigneur: French mountaineer credited with more than 500 route openings; the first French person to have climbed three mountains over 8000m high.
- Konrad Boehmer: Composer.
- Bob Dylan [Zimmerman] in Duluth: Minnesota, USA; singer/songwriter ("Blowin' in Wind").
- Baroness Hollis: of Heigham; history lecturer (University of East Anglia).
- Martin Mogg: governor (British Durham Prison).
- Martin Puryear: Sculptor.
- Jose Duchant: Belgian professional thief, a pick-pocket who commonly worked the music halls.
- Patricia Hollis: Baroness Hollis of Heigham English academic and politician.
- George Lakoff: American linguist and political activist.
- Tony Valentino: rocker (Standells - "Dirty Water").
- Andres Garcia: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic -- Actor (Tiger Shark).
- Brian Dennis: Composer.
- Lancelot Holland: British Vice-Admiral ( (WWII / Hood), dies in battle.
- Bismarck sinks British battle cruiser HMS Hood, 1,416 die 3 survive
- The British submarine HMS ''Upholder'' (P37) torpedoes and sinks the Italian ocean liner .