Thursday 17 September 1914
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Thomas J Bata and Jean Lancon.
The Virginian, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
while The Salamander by Owen Johnson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1914!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1914 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Thomas J Bata: Canadian shoemaker (Bata Shoes) (d. 2008).
- Jean Lancon: Bastia EXecutives.
- Thomas Bata: Czech-Canadian businessman (d. 2008).
- Shin Kanemaru: Japanese politician Deputy Prime Minister of Japan (d. 1996).
- Andrew Fisher becomes Prime Minister of Australia for the third time.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1914 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Love's Own Sweet Song - Charles Harrison & Grace Kerns
- The 20th Century Rag - Billy Murray
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?