Monday 14 September 1914
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Pietro Germi and Clayton Moore.
The Virginian, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
while T. Tembarom by Frances Hodgson Burnett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1914!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1914 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Pietro Germi: Italian actor and director.
- Clayton Moore: American actor (d. 1999).
- Michael Spisak: Composer.
- Lida Baarova: Czech actress (d. 2000).
- Mae Boren Axton: American songwriter (d. 1997).
- Robert McCloskey: American author (d. 2003).
- Robert Busnel: French basketball player, coach and administrator.
- Mae Axton: American composer and educator (d. 1997).
- Lída Baarová: Czech-Austrian actress (d. 2000).
- Kay Medford: NYC, New York -- Actress (Dean Martin Show, To Rome With Love).
- German staff-chief von Moltke replaces von Falkenhayn
- German troops withdraw from Aisne / invent trenches
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1914 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Love's Own Sweet Song - Charles Harrison & Grace Kerns
- The 20th Century Rag - Billy Murray
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?