Tuesday 1 September 1914
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 1, 1914). The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Maitraye Devi .
Aftermath, directed by Elliot Lester, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 September 1914
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1914!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1914 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Maitraye Devi: Bengali-born Indian poet and novelist, the daughter of philosopher Surendranath Dasgupta and protegée of poet Rabindranath Tagore.
- Märtha: Last known passenger pigeon, dies at Cincinnati Zoo.
- 34th US Mens Tennis: R Norris W III beats M E McLoughlin (63 86 10-8)
- Lord Kitchener arrives in Paris
- Von Glucks army meets up with British expeditionary army
- St. Petersburg, Russia, changes its name to Petrograd.
- The last passenger pigeon, a female named Martha, dies in captivity in the Cincinnati Zoo.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1914 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Happy Tho' Married - Fred Duprez
- Love Has Wings - Charles Harrison & Grace Kerns