Tuesday 1 September 1914
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Maitraye Devi .
The Virginian, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
while The Inside of the Cup by Winston Churchill was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1914!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1914 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Maitraye Devi: Bengali-born Indian poet and novelist, the daughter of philosopher Surendranath Dasgupta and protegée of poet Rabindranath Tagore.
- Märtha: Last known passenger pigeon, dies at Cincinnati Zoo.
- 34th US Mens Tennis: R Norris W III beats M E McLoughlin (63 86 10-8)
- Lord Kitchener arrives in Paris
- Von Glucks army meets up with British expeditionary army
- St. Petersburg, Russia, changes its name to Petrograd.
- The last passenger pigeon, a female named Martha, dies in captivity in the Cincinnati Zoo.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1914 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- You Planted a Rose in the Garden of Love - Henry Burr
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?