Tuesday 20 August 1946
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include NR Narayana Murthy and Connie Chung in Washington.
Brief Encounter, directed by David Lean, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1946
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 August 1946!
Which were the important events of 20 August 1946 ?
- Morocco - Revolution of the King and the People Day
- RC saints - Saint Bernard of Clairvaux
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Asm� (Names) - First day of the ninth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Estonia - Restoration Day
- Hungary - St. Stephen's day, the main national holiday in Hungary
- NR Narayana Murthy: Indian businessman.
- Connie Chung in Washington: DC, USA; TV newscaster (NBC, CBS).
- Ralf Hutter: German musician (Kraftwerk).
- Connie Chung: Chinese-American newscaster, teamed with Dan Rather at CBS in 1993.
- Laurent Fabius: French politician, Prime Minister 1984-86, charged in connection with the AIDS deaths of five people and the contamination of two others during a key period in 1985, accused of a strategy of favoritism that delayed systematic testing for AIDS, waiting for development of a French-made test when an American one was available months earlier, charged with manslaughter and "attacking the physical integrity of others.
- Hans Meiser: Hans Meiser is a german TV host, well known in the 1980ies and 1990ies.
- Henryk Broder: Polish-German journalist and author
- Ralf Hütter: German singer and keyboard player (Kraftwerk and Organisation)
- N Murthy: Indian businessman co-founded Infosys
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 20 August 1946
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1946 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Give Me Five Minutes More - Tex Beneke & The Glenn Miller Orchestra
- Modernaires & Paula Kelly - To Each His Own
- Xavier Cugat & His Waldorf-Astoria Orchestra (Vocal Buddy Clark) - South America, Take it Away
- Blue Skies - Benny Goodman & His Orchestra (Vocal Art Lund)
- Andy Russell - Pretending
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?