Tuesday 19 March 1946
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Marie-Françoise Bechtel and Ruth Pointer.
To Each His Own, directed by Mitchell Leisen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1946
while The River Road by Frances Parkinson Keyes was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 March 1946!
Which were the important events of 19 March 1946 ?
- Saint Adeltrudis (d.670)
- Saint Landoald
- Las Fallas in Valencia, Spain.
- Roman Catholicism and Church of England - Saint Joseph's Day for Saint Joseph of Nazareth, spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary, stepfather of Jesus; patron saint of Belgium, a good death, carpenters hence also (alternative) Father's Day in Spain, Portugal, Belgium
- Mojoday in Discordianism
- The swallows return to Mission San Juan Capistrano in California.
- The first day of Quinquatria in ancient Rome, held in honor of Minerva.
- Marie-Françoise Bechtel: French politician, MP, member of the Citizens' Movement and the Republican and Citizen Movement.
- Ruth Pointer: American singer, one of four sisters who made their mark across the spectrum from soul to scat, country, jazz and pop, R&B singers and songwriters.
- Paul Atkinson: rock guitarist (Zombies - "Never Even Thought").
- Bigas Luna: Spanish director and screenwriter (d. 2013).
- Jack Schaeffer: American singer saxophonist and producer (Royale Monarchs).
- Amir Hamzah: Indonesian Poet (Buah Rindu), dies at 35.
- Nicolai Schwernik succeeds Kalinin as President of the USSR
- French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique and Reunion become overseas departements of France.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1946 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- One-Zy, Two-Zy (I Love You-Zy) - Phil Harris
- Oh! What it Seemed to Be - Charlie Spivak & His Orchestra
- McNamara's Band - Bing Crosby & Jesters
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?