Tuesday 24 December 1957, Christmas Eve
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Diane Tell and Hamid Karzaï.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to April Love by Pat Boone.
In UK Mary's Boy Child by Harry Belafonte was in the top 5 hits.
The Enemy Below, directed by Dick Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while The Gallant Mrs. Stonewall by Harnett T. Kane was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Aktuelle Schaubude.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1957!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 24 December 1957 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Diane Tell: Canadian singer-songwriter and guitarist.
- Hamid Karzaï
- Ian Burden in Sheffield: England; rock bassist (Human League - "Only Human").
- Hamid Karzai: Afghan President, the first popularly elected president in the country's modern history.
- Norma Talmadge: American actress of silent screen, vaudeville, radio, film and stage, the oldest of the three Talmadge sisters who were promoted by their stage determined mother.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?