Friday 24 May 1940
It was Friday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Joseph Brodsky .
Our Town, directed by Sam Wood, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while Mrs. Miniver by Jan Struther was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 May 1940!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 24 May 1940 ?
- Aldersgate Day (Methodism).
- Canada: Victoria Day, on this date or the Monday before it. In Quebec, it is known as National Patriotes Day (JournTe nationale des patriotes). The holiday is often referred to as "May Two-Four," -- a "two-four" being slang for a case of beer with 24 bottles or cans.
- Bermuda: Bermuda Day.
- Eritrea: National Day.
- Macedonia: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Macedonian Script and Culture Day.
- Saints Donatianus and Rogatianus
- Saint Amadl
- Saint Suzanna
- Mary, Help of the Christians
- Saint Sarah is celebrated in Camargue, France by the Roma or Gypsies.
- Bulgaria: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Bulgarian Education and Culture, and Slavonic Script Day.
- Joseph Brodsky: Russian-born poet, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1996).
- 1st night game at St. Louis Sportsman Park (Indians 3, Browns 2)
- Dutch Queen Wilhelmina speaks on BBC radio
- Hitler affirms General von Rundstedts Stopbevel
- New York Giants rip Boston Bees 8-1 in 1st night game at Polo Grounds
- Dutch army demobilizes.
- German tanks reach Atrecht France.
- Igor Sikorsky performs the first successful single-rotor helicopter flight.
- WWII: The Anglo-French Supreme War Council decides to withdraw all forces from Norway.
- WWII: The Dunkirk evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force starts.
- First free flight of Igor Sikorsky's Vought-Sikorsky VS-300 helicopter.
- WWII: King Leopold III of Belgium orders the Belgian forces to cease fighting. Leaders of the Belgian government on French territory declare Leopold deposed.
- Winston Churchill warns the House of Commons to ampquotprepare itself for hard and heavy tidings.ampquot
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?