Sunday 19 May 1940
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Carlos Diegues and Joan Staley.
Our Town, directed by Sam Wood, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 May 1940!
Which were the important events of 19 May 1940 ?
- National Hug-Your-Cat Day
- NASCAR Day USA.(2006)
- Commemoration of Pontian Greeks Genocide in Greece.
- Commemoration of Atatnrk, Youth and Sports Day in Turkey (1919).
- Theophilus of Corte
- Peter Celestine
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Dunstan
- Carlos Diegues: Actor (Xica).
- Joan Staley: Playmate (Nov, 1958).
- Frank Lorenzo airline executive (Continental: Texas Air, Eastern).
- Jan Janssen: Dutch cyclist racer (1962-73), he won the Tour de France 1968 only for a few seconds.
- Don Johnson: American bowler.
- Frank Lorenzo: American entrepreneur who made millions buying airline companies and restructuring them, changing the face of the airline industry. He has been called a "Ruthless Pragmatist" as well as a visionary, deal maker, union buster, showboater and loose cannon. Hated by unions and loved by people who benefited from slashed air fares, he was known for seeking confrontations - from which he customarily walked away the winner. He used tactics of breaking contracts and slashing wages to help boost earnings
- Mickey Newbury: American singer-songwriter (d. 2002)
- Diego Mazquiaran: Spanish matador (Born 1895).
- Amsterdam time becomes MET (Middle European Time).
- General Maxime Weygand replaces Maurice Gamelin as commander-in-chief of all French forces.
- WWII: German forces (2nd Panzer division), under General Rudolf Veiel, reach Noyelles on the English Channel.
- Holocaust: The Nazi German concentration and extermination camp Auschwitz-Birkenau, the largest of the German concentration camps, opens in occupied Poland near the town of Oświęcim. Between May 1940 and January 1945, around 1.1 million people will be killed here.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 19 May 1940
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?