Tuesday May 28, 1940
US date format: 5/28/1940, UK date format: 28/5/1940
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Gemini (see birth chart on May 28, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Winston Churchill (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Hans Dulfer and Betty Shabazz.
The Ghost Breakers, directed by George Marshall, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of May 28, 1940?
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Germain of Paris
- Republic Day in Azerbaijan and Armenia (both 1918).
- Bernard of Menthon
- See more
- Belgium surrenders to Germany, King Leopold III gives himself up
- World War II: Norwegian, French, Polish and British forces recapture Narvik in Norway. This is the first allied infantry victory of the War.
- Betty Shabazz: Educator / talk show hostess / widow...
- Hans Dulfer: Tenor saxophonist / director (Paradiso).
- Thomas E Petri American politician (Representative-Republican-Wisconsin: 1979-).
- David Brewer: English politician Lord-Lieutenant of...
- See more