Wednesday 8 May 1940
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 8, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Rick Nelson and Toni Tennille.
Waterloo Bridge, directed by Mervyn LeRoy, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
On TV people were watching NBC News (1940 TV Series).
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 8 May 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 8 May 1940 ?
- Saints Wiro, Plechelmus and Otger
- Saint Macharius of Ghent (died 1012)
- Parents' Day in South Korea
- Iris feast of the Region of Brussels capital (in Belgium)
- VE Day
- World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day
- Saint Ida of Nivelles
- Rick Nelson: American singer/actor (Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet), dies at age 45 (born 1940).
- Toni Tennille: American singer and half of the popular ‘70s singing duo "The Captain and Tennille" with husband Daryl Dragon.
- Peter Benchley: American author and screenwriter (d. 2006).
- Ricky Nelson: American singer and songwriter, one of the first teen idols, later named to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- James Blyth: Baron Blyth of Rowington English businessman and academic.
- Peter Benchley in New York City: New York, USA; novelist (Jaws, The Deep).
- Emilio Delgado: American actor and singer.
- Irwin Cotler: Canadian lawyer and politician 47th Canadian Minister of Justice.
- Rick [Eric Hilliard] Nelson in Teaneck: New Jersey, USA; rock star ("Hello Mary Lou", "It's Late", "Garden Party") (dies 1985).
- Paolo Limiti: Italian lyricist, journalist, radio and television writer and presenter.