Wednesday 29 May 1940
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Gemini (see planets position on May 29, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Taiho Koki and Taihō Kōki.
The Ghost Breakers, directed by George Marshall, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 29 May 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 May 1940!
Which were the important events of 29 May 1940 ?
- Nigeria: Democracy Day.
- Saint Theodosia
- Bah�'f Faith: Ascension of Bah�'u'llah.
- United Kingdom: Oak Apple Day.
- Venezuela: Tree Day.
- Saint Erwin
- Saint Maximinus of Trier
- Argentina: Army Day.
- Blessed Adhemar
- Taiho Koki: Japanese sumo wrestler, the 48th Yokozuna.
- Taihō Kōki: Japanese sumo wrestler the 48th Yokozuna (d. 2013).
- Farooq Leghari: Pakistani politician 8th President of Pakistan (d. 2010).
- In WWII, Germans capture Ostend andYpres in Belgium andLille in France
- Adolf Kiefer swims world record 100 yards backstroke (58.8 seconds).
- Arthur Seyss-Inquart installed as Reich Commissioner of Hague Netherlands.
- The Vought XF4U-1, prototype of the F4U Corsair U.S. fighter later used in WWII, makes its first flight.
- The Holocaust: Franz Rademacher proposes the Madagascar Plan.
- Weather Bureau transferred to the Department of Commerce.
- WWII: Paris is bombed by the Luftwaffe for the first time.
- WWII: Winston Churchill tells the British House of Commons, ampquotWe shall not flag or fail. We shall fight on the beaches... on the landing grounds... in the fields and the streets.... We shall never surrender.ampquot