Tuesday 14 May 1940
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Troy Shondell and 'H' Jones.
Waterloo Bridge, directed by Mervyn LeRoy, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 May 1940!
Which were the important events of 14 May 1940 ?
- St. Carthach the Younger
- DubsDay in Dublin Ireland (14th of May in 2006).
- Mother's Day in various countries (second Sunday of May in 2006).
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut, or Israeli Independence Day. The observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar.
- Paraguay - Flag Day.
- St. Maria Dominic Mazzarello
- St. Just
- St. Engelmer
- St. Vincent of Lerins
- St. Victor and Corona
- St. Boniface of Tarsus
- St. Michael Garicoits
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: St. Matthias (Apostle)
- St. Engelmund
- Troy Shondell: American singer.
- 'H' Jones: British Soldier, VC recipient (d. 1982).
- Chay Blyth: Scottish adventurer, a lone, round-the-world yachtsman.
- George Mathewson: Sir George Mathewson is best known for transforming the Scottish bank The Royal Bank of Scotland from a struggling regional player into a quasi global bank with parallels to Citigroup or HSBC.
- Gabriel Schmergel: Hungarian executive and CEO in charge of Genetics Institute, a drug manufacturing company.
- H Jones: English colonel Victoria Cross recipient (d. 1982)
- Admiral Furstner departs to England
- Nazi bombs Rotterdam (600-900 dead), Netherlands surrender to Germany
- German breakthrough at Sedan.
- Lord Beaverbrook is appointed British minister of aircraft production.
- World War II: The Battle of the Netherlands ends with the Netherlands surrendering to Germany.
- The Yermolayev Yer-2, a long-range Soviet medium bomber, has its first flight.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?